Monday, January 28, 2008

Favorite Age

I was reading through some other mommyblogs and ran across one who was asking people to comment on what their favorite age of their children was. Of course I probably wouldn't be able to find it again to post a comment on that blog, but it made me think about it.

There's no easy answer to that one. They are all my favorite age :) My first "quippy" response would have been up to a month old - because they're sleeping most of the time ;) but of course that's not true. It's actually the most boring time because they're not really doing much but sleeping (and eating and pooping). Of course it's the most miraculous time - you are busy just watching them, checking them out, amazed at how tiny they are (even if it's your second, you just don't remember your first being that small) at how beautiful they are.

I have loved every age my children have been. You might think someone would say that those toddler years were not their favorite because of behavior issues or the frustration of that age. But really, every day he is adding new words, new phrases, new abilities. And it's all so very exciting. Of course his behavior is atrocious at times, but what toddler's isn't? In reality, those times when he's being cute totally outweigh the times when he's hurling his toys across the room at me :)

I just feel really lucky that he's not too attached to his toys, as most small children are. The couple of times we've been visiting family out of town, my niece is really bad at sharing her toys (because she's 2! aren't they all at that age?). Everything my son picks up yields shrieks of "that's mine." My son will just give it to her and find something else. He's had virtually no experience at sharing his toys. But I'm sure that if she were visiting us, my son wouldn't care what she played with. He plays like that at home, from one toy to the next in two seconds flat. The times that I've taken him to a playgroup, he's never fought over a toy - if someone wants what he's got, he gives it to them w/out any hesitation. I find that completely amazing. I expected that he would be right there with the other kids fighting over toys.
**edits

There's only been one time where he's shown an attachment to a toy. We were in the waiting room at the car dealership while they gave our car an oil change. They had some really lame old toys. When we were ready to leave, he had this wooden fire truck. I told him it was time to go and he clutched that fire truck to his chest and I had to pry it out of his hands and explain to him that it wasn't his and we had to leave it there.

Part of me really wanted to take it. It was something he really wanted, and he'd never expressed that kind of interest in a toy before. But I knew that there was no way I could let him take it. Sure it was old and stupid and they probably wouldn't have missed it - and he so desperately wanted it! But I couldn't do it for many reasons. First of all it would have been wrong. I would never knowingly steal something. Secondly, it would send my son the wrong message. He needs to know that a person can't just take things they want. Thirdly, it would have set a precedent. He would think that he could take a toy from wherever whenever he wanted. Can't have that! ;)

Anyway, back to the favorite age... haven't met one yet that's not my favorite :) so far they are so adorable at every age. Baby B is now a little over 5 months. She's rolling and scooting all over the place! She's going to be crawling soon! And she is soooo smiley and happy! Baby smiles and laughs are the best things in the world!!! :)

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com