Thursday, November 13, 2008

And the snow is falling!

We had our first substantial snow of the season yesterday. All told it was maybe a couple of inches, not much, but enough to coat the pine trees and make everything look quiet and serene. I should have gotten a picture, because words can rarely do justice to the beauty. The snow didn't stick around for too long, it started raining last night and most of the snow is gone now. I think the snow in the trees lasted for an hour or two before it was blown off. My son was so tickled by the snow. I can't wait until it really snows and we can go outside and play. I'm sure that he will really enjoy it so much more this year. It will be the first year we can take the baby out to play in the snow too! It will be a thrill for about a week or so ;) and then I will be ready for winter to be over.

I remember when we were kids, we would go out everyday all winter long and play in the snow for hours. It seemed as though we never got too cold. We'd spend hours making extravagant snow forts and tunnels and families of snowpeople and our yard would be decorated with snow angels of all sizes.

But now as an adult, its always too cold for me! :) Does something happen inside your body that makes you feel the cold more when you get older? Because our kids are the same as we were when we were kids - they can't stay outside in the snow long enough. It probably has something to do with children having a higher metabolism or something.

For now I'm just going to stock up on hot chocolate and wait for the first big snow of the season, which is probably just around the corner.

11 comments:

Kaci said...

Say it ain't so...cry! I don't want it to snow yet...crapola! :) XOXO

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I'm not quite ready for that yet though.

But I always say that kids have no nerves. Not snow but there was a small lake up in the mountains that we used to go to as kids. It is fed by springs. It is COLD! No adults go in for long - ok FEW adults go in for long, but kids! Oh kids love that place. They come out with blue lips but they never complain about the cold. I don't know when it happens but it definitely does.

Simply AnonyMom said...

I remember growing up in CO and the snow lasting 6+ months. I LOVED it. Now I live in WA and while it rarely snows the cold rain I can not handle. The kids can run and jump and explore in the rain for hours and hours like I did with snow but more than a few seconds I am chilled to the bone.

Maybe FAT is not as good an insulator as thought and that is why I get so xhilly? TOo much fat???

LOVE the new design!!

Anonymous said...

I think you just don't care when you're a kid. :) I'd love to get a few flurries this year.

Nut Nut said...

Snow! We're still getting warm days here. It just doesn't feel like fall almost winter...almost HOLIDAYS!

Please post some pics for those of us who hardly get to see it. : )

Michelle said...

brrrrr I'm chilly willy just reading that

Momisodes said...

Oy. I grew up in Florida and recently moved to New England from California. Anything under 60 degrees is COLD for me. But I'm hoping my daughter will be like you and enjoy the snow a ton as a child :)

Lorie said...

Snow! Brrrrrrrr! And I have always thought the snow was too cold...but I am from AZ!

Suzie said...

IM so covered in baby fat I cant feel the cold at all anymore

Missy said...

I don't mind a little snow and cold (although I don't have to worry about that anymore now that I live in the South!), but it was the LONG winters that drove me nuts. Spring is still a long ways off, and I hate being cold.
But you are right - as I kid, I loved it! And when we visited last year, my daughter loved it! I, on the other hand, didn't leave the house!

Lapa37 said...

I love the snow I miss it here in the south I grew up in Jersey and we used to get a bit of the fluffy whiteness. I hope we get it here this year.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com